Here’s another excellent addition to your weeknight dinner! Italian Sausage and Peppers Pasta is deliciously filling and quick to prepare. No need to simmer the sauce for hours!
If you are like me, sausage and bell peppers are items that you always have in your refrigerator.
The only thing that varies is the type of sausage and the color of the bell pepper.
Well, whatever variety you have, you would have no problem making this flavor-packed pasta with sausage and peppers.
IF YOU WANT MORE IDEAS FOR ITALIAN SAUSAGE DISHES, THEN YOU WILL LIKE THESE POSTS!
- Pasta – you can use any pasta type you want to make this sausage and peppers pasta recipe.
- Basil – fresh basil leaves, if possible, but you can also use dried ones if that’s what you have on hand.
- Garlic – minced or grated.
- Bell pepper – take your pick from yellow, red, or orange bell peppers. Skip the green ones because they have a stronger taste.
- Olive oil – use extra virgin olive oil, if possible.
- Italian sausage – I typically use mild Italian sausage, flavored with either fennel or rosemary, but use whatever is your favorite.
- Crushed tomatoes – canned crushed tomatoes are excellent for preparing pasta with bell peppers and sausage.
- Parmigiano Reggiano – you only need this for serving, totally optional.
- Salt and pepper – to season, and for cooking the pasta.
Start preparing your pasta with bell peppers and sausage by placing a medium to a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add olive oil.
Once it’s ready, add the sausage without the casings (photo 1).
Cook the sausage for about four to five minutes, then add the garlic and bell peppers (photo 2).
Mix, then cook for another five to six minutes; mixing often.
Add the crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper, and basil (photo 3).
Mix to combine everything.
Cover the skillet with a lid and adjust the heat to medium — simmer for about fifteen to twenty minutes.
While the sauce is simmering, bring a pot of salted water to a boil (photo 4).
Prepare your pasta as per its package instructions.
Add the drained and cooked pasta once your sauce is ready — and seasoned (photo 5).
Mix to combine the sauce with the pasta.
Add a bit of pasta water (photo 6), then mix.
Transfer your pasta with sausage and peppers into plates.
If desired, serve with some grated cheese on top and more fresh basil.
- Depending on the percentage of fat in the sausage, you can even skip the olive oil and start cooking the sausage in a cold pan.
- Remember to taste and adjust the seasoning of the sauce while it’s simmering.
- Make sure you don’t throw away all the pasta water. Instead, save about half a cup of it for adding during the last part of cooking.
For reference, I usually add about three tablespoons to a quarter of a cup of pasta water.
- Type of sausage. You can also use spicy sausage if you prefer. It will complement the sweetness of the bell peppers.
- Chili flakes. Add a pinch (or more) of chili flakes if you want a hint of heat.
- Herbs. Parsley, oregano, or thyme. They will all go well with this pasta dish.
Looks absolutely delicious right? So, give Italian sausage and peppers pasta a try one of these nights — you will not regret it. 🙂
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR MORE EASY TO PREPARE PASTA DISHES, THEN CHECK OUT THESE POSTS!
Italian Sausage and Peppers Pasta Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 links Italian sausage (about 3 ounces/8 grams per link), removed from casings
- 2 cloves garlic (or 1 big clove), minced
- 2 large bell peppers, julienned
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 7 ounces pasta (200 grams)
- handful of basil
- salt and pepper, to season
- Parmigiano Reggiano, grated (optional)
- Place a medium to a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add olive oil.
- Once the oil is ready, add the Italian sausage, minus the casings.
- Cook the sausage for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and julienned bell peppers.
- Mix, then cook for another 5 to 6 minutes — mixing often.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, and basil.
- Mix to combine everything.
- Cover the skillet with a lid, adjust the heat to medium, and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While it's simmering, bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta as instructed in its package.
- Add the drained and cooked pasta once your sauce is ready (and seasoned).
- Mix to combine the sauce with the pasta.
- Add a bit of pasta water, then finish mixing.
- Transfer your Italian sausage and peppers pasta into plates.
- Serve with some grated cheese and more fresh basil on top, if preferred.
- Cook’s Tip #1: Depending on the percentage of fat in the sausage, you can skip the olive oil and start cooking the sausage in a cold pan.
- Cook’s Tip #2: Make sure you taste and season the sauce while it’s simmering.
- Cook’s Tip #3: Don’t throw away all the pasta water. Save about half a cup of it — I typically add about three tablespoons to a quarter of a cup of pasta water during the last stage of cooking pasta with bell peppers and sausage.