Expect a delightful treat in every slice of this simple Orange Pound Cake! Excellent for a snack or light dessert — and it’s so quick to make!
Nowadays, you can find good oranges all year-round, so there is no need for you to wait to make this pound cake.
The best part? This cake is light enough to enjoy for breakfast. So, any time, any day — a sure win!
WHAT YOU NEED TO PREPARE THIS ORANGE CAKE RECIPE
FRESHLY SQUEEZED ORANGE JUICE OR STORE-BOUGHT?
Well, you already have the oranges for the grated zest, so might as well squeeze the juice out of those oranges.
However, on the off chance that you will be using packaged orange juice, make sure to adjust the amount of sugar in this recipe, depending on how sweet the juice is.
HOW TO MAKE ORANGE CAKE – Step by Step
Start by preheating your oven to 180°C (375 ° F) and preparing your loaf pan by greasing and dusting with flour.
Next, sift flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix all together (photo 1).
In a small bowl, rub the orange zest with two tablespoons of sugar. Set aside (photo 2).
Mix softened butter with remaining sugar until creamy, then add the eggs one at a time, then mix (photo 3).
Add a third of the dry ingredients, a third of the milk, and then a third of the orange juice. Repeat until you have added all of them (photo 4).
Once you have a smooth cake mixture, add the zest with sugar and fold to combine (photo 5).
Pour the cake mixture into a greased and floured loaf tin (photo 6).
Place in the lower part of the oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the top gets darker.
TOP TIPS THAT YOU SHOULD NOTE!
- Make sure you use room temperature eggs.
- Do not skip the rubbing of sugar with the orange zest; it helps in increasing the aroma and flavor of the orange.
- Place the pan in the lower part of your oven, and if you think it’s getting too dark on top, do not hesitate to cover it with an aluminum foil.
FOR MORE DESSERTS RECIPES, CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING POSTS –
OR IF YOU WANT MORE IDEAS FOR CAKES, THEN CHECK OUT MY CAKE COLLECTION!
Easy Orange Pound Cake
PREPARING THE EQUIPMENT:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Grease a 30-cm loaf pan and lightly dust with flour.
PREPARING THE CAKE BATTER:
- Using a medium bowl, sift all the dry ingredients together; flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix.
- In a small bowl, rub the grated orange zest with about 2 tablespoons of sugar. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the remaining sugar with butter. Mix until it becomes creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, and mix.
- Alternate between adding 1/3 of the dry ingredients, followed by 1/3 of the milk, and then 1/3 of the orange juice. Repeat until you have a smooth cake mixture.
- Using a spatula or a wooden spoon, add and gently fold the orange zest with the sugar.
- Pour the cake mixture into your greased and floured loaf pan.
BAKING THE CAKE:
- Place loaf pan in the lower part of the oven, for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the top gets darker in color.
- Take the pan out of the oven and let cool for at least 20 minutes.
SERVING YOUR ORANGE CAKE:
- Take the cooled cake out of the pan and slice. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
- When using store-bought orange juice, adjust the amount of sugar, depending on the sweetness of the juice
- Use room temperature eggs.
- Make sure you rub the orange zest with sugar, to intensify the flavor and aroma of the orange.
- Do not hesitate to cover the top with an aluminum foil, if you feel that it’s getting too dark, too quickly.