Soft, delicious, and undeniable lemon flavor -- that's what you'll get in every bite of these Easy Lemon Muffins. Excellent for snacks or breakfast, so try some with your next cup of coffee or tea!
These lemon muffins with yogurt are light enough that you can easily finish a couple with your morning cup of coffee.
Don't think they're cloyingly sweet either, because of the sugar on top. Nope.
It's a perfect balance of sugar and lemony flavor -- hard to say no to that, right?
IF YOU WANT MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES, THEN YOU WILL LOVE THESE POSTS!
- Lemons - you will use both the juice and the peel for this lemon muffins recipe.
- Vanilla extract - just use your favorite brand.
- Flour - all-purpose flour is excellent for these lemon yogurt muffins.
- Sugar - regular white sugar is great for this recipe.
- Baking powder & baking soda - use whatever you have on hand.
- Butter - I generally use unsalted butter for making lemon muffins.
- Salt - you might need to use less if you are using salted butter.
- Eggs - at room temperature.
- Yogurt - plain yogurt is the best one to use for these lemon muffins. However, if you want to use a flavored one, better limit yourself to lemon-flavored yogurt.
Even normal vanilla ones might overpower the lemon, so better not to use that either.
Start preparing your lemon muffins with yogurt by greasing the muffin tray or placing some muffin liner on it.
Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
Sift and mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl, combine eggs and sugar.
Mix until creamy.
Add vanilla extract and melted butter.
Then add yogurt and continue mixing.
Add the sifted dry ingredients, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
Mix, just enough to combine.
Spoon the lemon muffin batter into tins or tray.
Combine the sugar and lemon zest for the topping.
Add some of the sugar and zest mixture on top of each muffin.
Distribute the remaining topping on each muffin evenly.
Place the muffin tray in the oven for thirty to thirty-five minutes, or until the top has turned golden.
Remove lemon muffins with yogurt from the tray and serve.
- If you are not using muffin liners, do not forget to grease or spray the tins with butter.
- Do not overmix the batter; mix it just enough to combine.
- When preparing the topping of the lemon muffins, use your fingers to rub the sugar with the lemon zest.
It helps in releasing more of the aroma and flavor of the zest.
The secret is in adding something acidic to the muffin batter.
The common ones are buttermilk and sour cream -- and as you can see in this recipe, yogurt is also an excellent alternative.
So, give these easy lemon muffins a try for your next breakfast or coffee break, and let me know what you think!
OR GET MORE IDEAS FROM THESE EASY SNACK RECIPES!
Easy Lemon Muffins Recipe
- Mixing bowls
- Strainer for sifting
- Hand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- Muffin tin
- Muffin liners
- 1 & 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar, heaping
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup yogurt, plain
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- butter, for greasing
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Place some muffin liners on the tin or grease tin with butter.
- Sift and combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a separate bowl, mix eggs and sugar until they become creamy.
- Add melted butter and vanilla extract and continue mixing.
- Add yogurt and mix again to combine.
- Add the sifted ingredients, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Mix just enough to combine the dry ingredients with the rest.
Baking lemon muffins:
- Spoon the batter into your muffin tins.
- Combine sugar and zest and rub them with your fingers.
- Add some of the sugar and lemon zest mixture on top of each muffin.
- Place your muffin tray in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top has turned darker.
- Remove lemon muffins from the tin and serve.
- Cook's Tip#1: Plain yogurt is the best kind to use for this lemon muffins with yogurt recipe, but if you want to try flavored ones, stick to lemon yogurt.
- Cook's Tip #2: Make sure you grease or spray some butter into your muffin tins if you do not use muffin liners.
- Cook's Tip #3: Remember not to overmix the batter; mix it just enough to combine.
- Cook's Tip #4: To prepare the topping of the lemon muffins, rub the sugar and lemon zest with your fingers to combine. It helps in releasing the aroma and flavor of the lemon zest.