A delicious cake that you can enjoy the whole year round. Olive Oil Carrot Cake is always a winner --- even for those who don't like vegetables! So enjoy a slice (or two) for your next coffee break!
If you've always been using butter to make carrot cake, this is the perfect time to try making it with olive oil instead.
The same delicious intensity of the carrots but less heavy because of the olive oil added to the carrot cake batter.
You can absolutely enjoy it even without the cream cheese icing on top --- pair it with coffee, tea, or a glass of your favorite wine.
Oh! The best part? Excellent carrots are now available the entire year, so nothing can stop you from giving this olive oil carrot cake recipe a try. 🙂
IF YOU WANT MORE EASY CAKE RECIPES, YOU WILL LIKE THESE POSTS!
- Carrots - peeled and grated.
- Olive oil - extra virgin olive would be excellent for this carrot cake recipe.
- Honey - try to use honey that's not too flowery in flavor unless that's what you prefer.
- Brown sugar - I generally use demerara sugar because that is what I always have on hand.
- Flour - all-purpose flour is all you need to make this carrot cake with olive oil.
- Eggs - medium-sized (63 to 73 grams per piece) and at room temperature
- Cream cheese - the base for the icing of your cake.
- Powdered sugar - to be mixed with cream cheese to make the icing.
- Walnuts - chopped roughly for topping your olive oil carrot cake.
- Cinnamon, vanilla extract, baking soda & baking powder - just use your favorite brand.
Start making carrot cake with olive oil by preheating your oven to 180°C (350°F).
Grease an 8-inch cake pan with butter, dust it with some flour, then set it aside for later.
Using a medium-sized bowl, sift and combine the flour, ground cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder.
In a larger mixing bowl, combine and mix eggs with brown sugar.
Add honey, olive oil, and one teaspoon of vanilla extract, then continue mixing.
Add the strained, dry ingredients from earlier.
Mix to combine everything evenly.
Add the grated carrots.
Continue mixing to combine everything.
Pour your carrot cake with olive oil batter into the greased cake pan.
Place the pan in the lower part of the oven for forty to forty-five minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
Take your carrot cake out of the oven and set it aside to cool.
Prepare the icing by combining and mixing the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and remaining vanilla extract.
Spread the cream cheese icing on top of the cooled carrot cake.
Use an angled spatula to smoothen the top.
Sprinkle the crushed walnuts over the icing.
Slice and serve your olive oil carrot cake --- sprinkle more walnuts, if desired!
- Feel free to grate the carrots bigger if you prefer to see bits of them in the cake.
- Make sure your carrot cake with is completely cooled before spreading the icing.
- Other types of nuts. While I think walnuts are the best type, you can try using other kinds like almonds --- and decide which one you like the most.
So how about it? Try this carrot cake with olive oil recipe one of these days, and let me know! 🙂
FOR MORE IDEAS ON DISHES WITH CARROTS, CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES!
Olive Oil Carrot Cake Recipe
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Box grater
- Hand mixer
Carrot Cake with Olive Oil Batter:
- 10 ounces carrots (about 300 grams or 2 & 1/4 cups when grated), peeled and grated
- 1 & 1/2 cups flour (230 grams or 8 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 180 ml olive oil (3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon)
- 125 ml honey (1/3 cup + 1 & 1/2 tablespoons)
- 3 medium eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- butter, for greasing the pan
- 3/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- handful of walnuts, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Grease an 8-inch cake pan with butter and dust it lightly with flour.
- Strain and combine the flour, ground cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium-sized bowl.
- Using a larger mixing bowl, mix eggs with brown sugar.
- Add honey, olive oil, and one teaspoon of vanilla extract, then continue mixing.
- Add the strained, dry ingredients from earlier and mix.
- Add the grated carrots and continue mixing to combine everything evenly.
- Pour your carrot cake with olive oil batter into the greased cake pan.
- Place the pan in the lower part of the oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Take your carrot cake out of the oven and set it aside to cool.
- Prepare the icing by combining the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and the remaining vanilla extract.
- Spread the cream cheese icing on top of the cooled carrot cake.
- Use an angled spatula to smoothen the top.
- Sprinkle the crushed walnuts over the icing.
- Slice and serve your olive oil carrot cake --- sprinkle more walnuts, if preferred!
- Cook's Tip #1: Ensure the cake has completely cooled before spreading the cream cheese icing.