Looking for a delicious vegetable dish that is ready in a flash? Yep, this Sautéed Asparagus with Garlic will tick all the boxes. So easy to make, and all set for serving in 20 minutes!
This is an excellent side dish when you’re pressed for time but still unwilling to sacrifice flavor.
The crunch and earthiness of the asparagus combined with the garlic go so well with any fried or grilled meat (and fish) — plus you’ve got that squeeze of lemon in there for the freshness.
What more could you ask for a side dish?
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE SAUTEED GARLIC ASPARAGUS
SHOULD I USE THIN OR THICK ASPARAGUS?
You can use whichever you prefer.
Just pay attention to your cooking time; make sure that you don’t overcook them when you are using the thin ones.
HOW TO SAUTE ASPARAGUS
Start by heating the olive oil in a medium to a large pan, set on medium-high heat (photo 1).
Once the oil is ready, add the chopped asparagus (photo 2).
Mix for a couple of minutes, coating the asparagus with the oil.
Add garlic, salt, and pepper (photo 3).
Mix and cover with a lid. Lower the heat to medium-low and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
Remove lid, adjust heat to medium-high and squeeze about half a lemon on top (photo 4).
Mix to properly combine the lemon juice, take the pan off the heat and serve.
TIPS ON MAKING SAUTEED ASPARAGUS WITH GARLIC
- If you have lemon pepper on hand, use it instead of ground black pepper.
- Go for the milder, fruiter extra-virgin olive oil. The robust ones are a bit overpowering for the asparagus.
- If you want the tips to be crunchier, add them right before you cover the pan with a lid. It will ensure that they have less cooking time.
- Add fresh herbs if you have them available. I especially like adding fresh parsley when serving.
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR MORE VEGETABLE RECIPES, THEN YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- Cucumber Mint Lemonade
- Sweet Potato Coconut Soup
- Green Beans with Garlic
- Easy Ham Fried Rice
- Herb Roasted Chicken with Fennel
OR IF YOU WANT MORE IDEAS FOR SPRING DISHES, CHECK OUT MY SPRING COLLECTION!
Easy Sauteed Asparagus
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 400 to 500 grams asparagus, chopped and hard parts removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or chopped finely
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper, to season
- Place a medium to a large pan on medium-high heat. Add and heat olive oil.
- Add asparagus and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Adjust heat to medium-low and cover the pan with a lid; cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until asparagus has slightly softened.
- Remove lid and adjust heat to medium-high.
- Squeeze lemon juice on top. Mix to combine and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat.
- Thin or thick asparagus will work with this recipe, just be mindful of the cooking time when you are cooking the thin ones.
- You can substitute lemon pepper for ground black pepper.
- Use fruity or milder extra-virgin olive oil; the stronger, more robust ones tend to overpower the sauteed asparagus.
- If you have fresh herbs, like parsley on hand, feel free to add them when serving.