Looking for a delicious vegetable dish that is ready in a flash? Yep, this Sautéed Asparagus with Garlic will tick all the boxes. So easy to make, and all set for serving in 20 minutes!
Sauteed asparagus with garlic is an excellent side dish when you’re pressed for time but still unwilling to sacrifice flavor.
The crunch and earthiness of the asparagus combined with the garlic go so well with any fried or grilled meat (and fish) — plus you’ve got that squeeze of lemon in there for the freshness.
What more could you ask for a side dish?
IF YOU NEED MORE IDEAS FOR SIDE DISHES, THEN YOU WILL LIKE THESE POSTS!
- Asparagus – fresh green asparagus, rinsed and drained.
- Olive oil – if possible, use extra virgin olive oil for this sauteed asparagus recipe.
- Garlic – minced or finely chopped.
- Seasoning – salt and ground black pepper.
- Lemon – you need this for adding freshness to the sauteed asparagus.
Start by heating the olive oil in a medium to a large pan, set on medium-high heat (photo 1).
Once the oil is ready, add the chopped asparagus (photo 2).
Mix for a couple of minutes, coating the asparagus with the oil.
Add garlic, salt, and pepper (photo 3).
Mix and cover with a lid. Lower the heat to medium-low and cook for four to five minutes.
Remove lid, adjust heat to medium-high and squeeze about half a lemon on top (photo 4).
Mix to properly combine the lemon juice, take the pan off the heat and serve your sauteed asparagus with garlic.
- If you have lemon pepper on hand, use it instead of ground black pepper.
- Go for the milder, fruiter extra-virgin olive oil. The robust ones are a bit overpowering for the asparagus.
- If you want the tips to be crunchier, add them right before you cover the pan with a lid. It will ensure that they have less cooking time.
- Add fresh herbs if you have them available. I especially like adding fresh parsley when serving.
You can use whichever you prefer.
Just pay attention to your cooking time; make sure that you don’t overcook them when you are using the thin ones.
See how easy it is to prepare this vegetable side dish? Then give it a try soon and let me know!
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR MORE VEGETABLE RECIPES, THEN YOU WILL LIKE THESE POSTS!
Easy Sauteed Asparagus
- Chopping board
- Kitchen knife
- Measuring spoons
- Rubber spatula
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 400 to 500 grams asparagus, chopped and hard parts removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or chopped finely
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper, to season
- Place a medium to a large pan on medium-high heat. Add and heat olive oil.
- Add asparagus and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Adjust heat to medium-low and cover the pan with a lid; cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until asparagus has slightly softened.
- Remove lid and adjust heat to medium-high.
- Squeeze lemon juice on top. Mix to combine and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat.
- Serve your sauteed asparagus with garlic!
- Cook’s Tip #1: Thin or thick asparagus will work with this sauteed asparagus recipe, just be mindful of the cooking time when you are cooking the thin ones.
- Cook’s Tip #2: You can substitute lemon pepper for ground black pepper.
- Cook’s Tip #3: Use fruity or milder extra-virgin olive oil; the stronger, more robust ones tend to overpower the sauteed asparagus with garlic.
- Cook’s Tip #4: If you have fresh herbs, like parsley on hand, feel free to add them when serving.