A vegetable side dish that you can quickly prepare — Garlic Green Beans is ready in thirty minutes but does not skimp on flavor. Excellent with grilled or fried meat and fish!
Green beans are known by various names like string beans, French beans, or haricot vert (which is how they are sold here in Stockholm).
Regardless of its name, when they’re in season, absolutely delicious — and crunchy!
Sautéing is one of my favorite ways to cook them; quick and simple.
WHAT YOU NEED TO PREPARE SAUTEED GREEN BEANS
CAN I USE VEGETABLE OIL INSTEAD OF OLIVE OIL?
Yes, you can, but use a bit less.
I don’t know about you, but I personally don’t mind using a tad more with olive oil because I want to coat the green beans with it. It is not the same case when it comes to vegetable oil.
CAN I ADD DRIED HERBS?
Although, if you do that, make sure that you only use a tiny amount of chili flakes, maybe get rid of it completely.
Dried oregano and thyme are my usual herbs when it comes to sautéed green beans.
HOW TO MAKE GARLIC GREEN BEANS – Step by Step
Start by heating the olive on a medium to a large skillet over medium heat (photo 1).
Once the oil is ready, add the garlic.
Cook the garlic until it becomes fragrant, and some of its edges are getting browned (photo 2).
Add the green beans and mix (photo 3).
Season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes (photo 4).
Mix to coat the green beans evenly.
Adjust the heat to medium-low, cover with a lid, and cook for ten more minutes, occasionally mixing to make sure you’re not burning the garlic.
Take the pan off the heat and serve.
TOP TIPS ON MAKING GARLIC GREEN BEANS
- Do not turn the heat to the max right away, better to set to medium (as the highest) to avoid burning the garlic.
- You can chop the green beans in half if you prefer. Personally, I like to keep them whole.
- Mincing the garlic is fine as well. I choose to slice it thinly instead because I want to see and pick it up separately. 🙂
IF YOU WANT MORE VEGETABLE RECIPES, YOU MIGHT LIKE THESE POSTS:
- Cucumber Mint Lemonade
- Sweet Potato Coconut Soup
- Easy Sauteed Asparagus
- Chocolate and Beetroot Brownies
OR PERHAPS YOU WANT MORE IDEAS FOR SPRING DISHES? THEN JUMP STRAIGHT TO MY SPRING COLLECTION!
Green Beans with Garlic
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1/2 kg green beans (from 300 to 500 grams), trimmed and rinsed
- dash chili flakes
- salt and pepper, to season
- Using a medium or large skillet, heat the olive over medium heat.
- As soon as the oil is ready, add the garlic.
- Cook until the garlic becomes fragrant, or you start seeing the edges turning dark.
- Add the green beans and mix.
- Season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes.
- Mix again and make sure you the beans are coated with oil and seasoning.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook for 10 more minutes, or until the beans are cooked (do not overcook them!). Mix occasionally to avoid burning the garlic that settles at the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from the heat, uncover and transfer into a plate.
- Vegetable oil can be used as an alternative to olive oil but use a bit less when you do.
- Feel free to add any of your favorite dried herbs, making sure the chili does not overpower its flavor.
- Set the heat to medium (as highest), to avoid burning the garlic.
- You can mince the garlic if you prefer. I like to slice them instead because I want to pick them up separately once cooked.