Have you tried baking with olive oil yet? Start with this Simple Olive Oil Cake recipe, and you will undoubtedly get hooked. Delicious, light, and so easy to prepare.
Yep, this oil is not just for savory dishes; it’s also excellent for cakes, cupcakes, and muffins.
If you are not a fan of buttery cakes because you feel they’re heavy, this is the perfect option. Light and subtly flavored, you can pair it with almost any type of beverage.
Try it for your next dessert or coffee break!
WHAT YOU NEED TO PREPARE THIS CLASSIC CAKE
WHICH KIND IS BEST FOR BAKING?
Get an extra-virgin kind that’s fruity or mild.
Do not use the strong, robust-flavored ones, although I have to admit; I love those too. But certainly not for baking a cake.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST OIL CAKE
Start by preheating your oven to 180°C (350°F) and preparing an 8-inch cake pan by greasing and dusting it with flour.
Using a medium-sized bowl, sift, and mix all the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, and salt (photo 1).
On a separate bowl, mix eggs and sugar until it becomes creamy.
Add and mix vanilla extract, lemon zest, and oil (photo 2).
Slowly add some of the sifted dry ingredients, followed by a bit of the milk. Mix and combine while adding everything in batches (photo 3).
Once you get a smooth texture of the cake mixture, pour it into the greased cake pan (photo 4).
Place pan in the lower part of the oven for thirty-five to forty minutes.
Take the pan out of the oven and dust with powdered sugar.
Serve with some fresh fruits, if you prefer.
TOP TIPS ON MAKING THIS OIL CAKE RECIPE
- Make sure you use room-temperature eggs.
- Do not skip the sifting of all the dry ingredients to save time. It helps in getting a smooth batter.
- If you don’t have a hand (or stand) mixer, a metal whisk and a rubber spatula would also work.
- This recipe is perfect for an 8-inch cake tin, anything bigger than that would result in a thinner cake.
- If you don’t intend to dust the cake with powdered sugar for serving, then you can use a quarter of a cup of sugar instead of half a cup.
FOR MORE DESSERT RECIPES, CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING POSTS –
OR IF YOU WANT MORE IDEAS FOR CAKES, THEN CHECK OUT MY CAKE COLLECTION!
Easy Olive Oil Cake
- Mixing bowls
- Strainer for sifting
- Hand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- 1 & 1/2 cups flour
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 medium eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, grated zest
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- powdered sugar, for dusting
PREPARING THE EQUIPMENT:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Grease an 8-inch cake tin and lightly dust it with flour. Set aside.
PREPARING THE CAKE BATTER:
- Sift all dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium-sized bowl. Mix to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, combine eggs and sugar. Mix until it becomes creamy.
- Add vanilla extract, lemon zest, and oil. Continue mixing to combine evenly.
- Alternate in adding a third of the sifted dry ingredients and the milk while mixing continuously. Do this in batches until everything is combined.
- Once you get a smooth cake mixture, pour it into the greased cake tin.
BAKING THE CAKE:
- Place the tin in the lower half of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Take the cake out of the oven and dust with powdered sugar.
SERVING YOUR CAKE:
- Slice and add some fresh fruits on the side, if desired.
- Fruity or mild extra-virgin oil is excellent for this cake, not the strong-flavored ones.
- Use room-temperature eggs.
- Do not skip the sifting of the dry ingredients. It helps in not getting lumps in the batter.
- Feel free to use a metal whisk and a spatula if you don’t have an electric mixer.
- This recipe is perfect for an 8-inch cake pan, anything bigger than that result in a noticeable thinner cake.
- If you are not planning to use powdered sugar for dusting, increase the amount of sugar from 1/2 to 3/4 cup.